Castor Bean Plants and Ricin Poisoning in Horses

Filed Under: Horses, Poisoning

The castor bean plant (Ricinus communis) or palma christi is a common ornamental houseplant with large, palmated, lobed leaves that may be found in almost any location in the United States. The plant is also grown for the manufacturing of castor oil. This same plant has a more sinister side and may be used to produce a potent phytotoxin called ricin.

Although all parts of the castor bean plant are toxic, ricin is concentrated in the seed of the plant. The seeds are very large and mottled, typically with a light brown color. The seeds are produced in a capsule that breaks open at maturity. The seed coat is very hard and the seed will pass harmlessly through the digestive tract unless the seed coat is broken due to chewing or crushing before ingestion.

People and horses account for most cases of poisoning. Cattle and sheep appear to be more resistant to the toxic effects of the castor bean. Most toxicities in the horse occur when castor-bean seeds contaminate concentrates.

The ricin molecule is composed of two glycoprotein chains A and B. One of the chains facilitates endocytosis (entry into a cell) while the other chain, once it has gained entry into a cell, will inhibit protein synthesis within the ribosomes and cause cell death. These proteins may be antigenic in sensitive animals thereby resulting in anaphylaxis. In the horse; as little as 0.1 mg/kg of ground castor bean seeds may be lethal. Ricin is water soluble and not fat soluble, therefore there is no risk of ricin being present in castor oil.

To eliminate the possibility of poisoning, the flowering head of the castor bean plant should be snipped from the plant.

Typically there is a latent period of 18 to 24 hours between the ingestion of the beans and the onset of clinical symptoms. In the early stages of poisoning, there is a slight depression and an elevation of body temperature of 3 to 4ºF. Affected animals will become thirsty, there may be mild colic pains, and sweating will develop. As the poisoning progresses, vomiting will occur as well as a profuse catarrhal to bloody (hemorrhagic) diarrhea. Animals become weak, incoordinated and will often tremble. The heart rate will become erratic and may result in terminal convulsions.

Affected animals will have an elevated packed cell volume. Accumulation or pooling of body fluids in the intestines leads to hypovolemic shock.

When diagnosed early, treatment consists of evacuating the gastrointestinal tract through emesis and intestinal lavage. Additional treatment is symptomatic and largely involves the replacement of fluid loss.

Diagnosis is difficult unless one receives a history of exposure to castor beans.

References:

Fowler, Murray. Plant Poisoning in Small Companion Animals. Ralston Purina Co. 1981. Pp. 9-11.

Gupta, Ramesh. Veterinary Toxicology. Elsevier. 2007. P. 1124.

Kahn, Cynthia Editor. The Merck Veterinary Manual. Merck and Co. 2005. Pp. 2468 – 2469.

Stegelmeier, Bryan. “Identifying Nephrotoxic Plants and how to Minimize Poisoning”. DVM Newsmagazine. November. 2007. P. 10E.

Topics: plants, poisoning

Symptoms: depression, diarrhea, fever, increased thirst, sweating, vomiting, weakness

Similar entries

  • Thinking of throwing out that poinsettia the florist just delivered since you have pets in the house? That is probably not necessary. Although poinsettia poisoning has gained a lot of press, they are not all that toxic.

    Poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima) are also known as the "Christmas flower" or "star". They are a popular plant used as decoration around the holidays from November through December. The plant is actually a shrub and has brightly colored red, white or pink terminal leaves while the lower leaves remain green in color.

  • The beautiful flowering shrub adjacent to your porch may have a sinister side to it. Don’t let those colorful blooms fool you. Cuttings from these bushes may be toxic to your pets and livestock.

  • Oleander is an ornamental shrub that flowers in various colors including white, red, pink and violet. This plant is an evergreen perennial that flowers throughout the summer months. Originally a native plant of the Mediterranean, oleander is a very drought-tolerant ornamental. Oleander is now commonly found in warmer areas of the United States. It is often planted as an ornamental hedge along roads and gardens, although it is occasionally grown as a houseplant. The leaves are thick and leathery and vary from four to twelve inches in length.

  • Did you know that cockleburs (Xanthium genus), those annoying burs that stick to your clothes and scratch your skin, are toxic if consumed?  Most people are not in the habit of consuming the prickly, spiny seed pods, but they can be incorporated into animal feeds and hay.  Horses, pigs, and cattle can all become poisoned.  Pigs are the species most commonly poisoned from these seedlings.  
      

  • There's been plenty of debate about whether marijuana is harmful to humans. But it is definitely harmful to your pet.

    Marijuana or cannabis, also known as hemp, marihuana, hashish, Mary Jane, grass, reefer, weed or pot is a coarse annual herb that may grow up to six feet tall. The leaves are palmated, compounded with three to seven linear, coarsely dentated leaves. Male plants have small green flowers at the tip while female pants have flowers along the entire length of branch.