For Dogs, Not All Artificial Sweeteners are Created Equal

Filed Under: Dogs, Poisoning

Xylitol is a popular sugar substitute made from a sugar alcohol. Although Xylitol is considered to be safe when used as a sugar substitute for people, it may cause hypoglycemia and acute death of liver cells in dogs.

Xylitol was first manufactured in 1891 by chemist Emil Fisher by hydrogenating a sugar found in wood. Xylitol is also found naturally in berries, lettuce and mushrooms. Xylitol has 2/3 the calories of sugar and is used as an equal measure substitute for sucrose. It is commonly seen in chewing gum, toothpaste, and more and more frequently as a sugar substitute in baked goods. Commercially available products include the trade names of Epic, Spry, Nicorette, and Trident. These lines include gums, breath mints, mouthwashes, and toothpastes.

Xylitol is absorbed slowly in people. In dogs, Xylitol is rapidly and almost completely absorbed within 30 minutes and causes a greater release of insulin than would occur with a similar dose of glucose. This results in hypoglycemia (lack of glucose concentrations in the blood). In the dog, hypoglycemia occurs approximately one hour after ingestion of Xylitol.

The onset of clinical signs is rapid. Vomiting is usually seen first. In 20% of cases, hypoglycemia develops within 30 to 60 minutes after ingestion. Clinical signs progress rapidly from being lethargic to becoming unbalanced, collapsing, hemorrhaging, and having seizures.

Blood work shows hypoglycemia, hypokalemia, hyperphosphatemia (low glucose, low potassium and high levels of phosphorous). Elevated liver enzymes occur 12 to 24 hours after ingestion. Bleeding problems will also occur and are exhibited by the inability of blood to clot, resulting in skin and gastric hemorrhages. Hyperphosphatemia is considered to be a poor prognostic indicator.

Dogs have been shown to suffer severe hepatic necrosis resulting in a loss of liver cells with a collapse of the liver’s architecture. The cause of the necrosis is unknown although several theories exist. The effect of Xylitol on cats is also unknown.

Other artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin (Sweet ’n’ Low), aspartame (Nutrasweet) and sucralose (Splenda) are generally regarded as safe and should not cause significant illness other than possible osmotic diarrhea.

Before the onset of clinical signs, emesis (vomiting) may be induced to bring up the offending substance. Activated charcoal may not be beneficial in preventing absorption of Xylitol since is so rapidly absorbed. If hypoglycemia develops, intravenous dextrose may be helpful in maintaining normal glucose concentrations. The hypokalemia may be treated by adding potassium to IV fluids. Liver protectants and antioxidants such as “Denosyl® and Marin®”, both manufactured by Nutramax, may be helpful in treatment although their efficacy in this Toxicosis has not been established. Blood transfusions may be necessary if bleeding develops.

If you get uncomplicated hypoglycemia or mild liver enzyme activity, the prognosis is good with supportive care. If severe liver enzyme elevation occurs, hyperphosphatemia or if bleeding develops, the prognosis is poor. In conclusion it is best to avoid all food items containing Xylitol in the dog.

Reference

1. Dunayer, EK, Ms. VMD, DABT, DABVT New Findings on the Effects of Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs, Veterinary Medicine December 2006, 791-796.

Topics: artificial sweetener, xylitol

Symptoms: hypoglycemia, lethargy, vomiting

Similar entries

  • Think grapes may be nutritionally good for your dog? Guess again! Raisins and grapes may be part of a nutritionally complete diet for people but can result in acute renal failure in susceptible dogs. The consumption of 11 to 30 grams of grapes per kilogram of body weight will result in clinical signs of toxicosis, and around 32 grams per kilogram will result in renal (kidney) damage. The number of raisins required to induce poisoning will be even less, requiring a dose of only 0.16 to 0.7 oz of raisins per kilogram of body weight resulting in poisoning.

  • Thinking about getting your car winterized this fall? Antifreeze is 95% ethylene glycol, (an important chemical used to prevent your car’s radiator from freezing or your windshield from icing) which is toxic to most animals although dogs, and to a lesser extent cats, appear to be primarily affected. Improper storage and handling of this chemical often leads to poisoning of pets since it has a sweet taste that may be attractive to animals. Most poisonings are accidental, but unfortunately, malicious poisonings may also occur.

  • Want to share those macadamia nuts with your dog? Don’t, unless you want your dog staggering around the house appearing as if he is in a drunken stupor. A toxic dose of roasted macadamia nuts may be as little as one nut per kilogram of body weight in the dog.

    Clinical signs begin two to twelve hours after ingestion. In addition to staggering, the dog may appear weak and depressed. Muscle tremors, vomiting, and an elevated temperature may also occur. Dogs are often painful in the joints, muscles and abdomen.

  • The most common cause of liver problems in the cat is Hepatic Lipidosis. The exact cause of this condition is not known but it is associated with a period of anorexia (not eating) in the feline patient. Cats that are overweight or obese tend to incur the problem more frequently and repeat attacks are common. Stress appears to be the inciting cause of Hepatic Lipidosis. Stressful situations in the cat may include any change to their normal routine including: boarding, moving, the death of an additional pet or an owner, or simply a change in diet.

  • Is your cat feeling a little under the weather? Think you might help him out by giving him half of an aspirin. Don’t! Aspirin may be toxic to your pet, especially your feline friends.