Grape and Raisin Toxicosis in the Dog

Filed Under: Dogs, Diet & Nutrition, Poisoning

Think grapes may be nutritionally good for your dog? Guess again! Raisins and grapes may be part of a nutritionally complete diet for people but can result in acute renal failure in susceptible dogs. The consumption of 11 to 30 grams of grapes per kilogram of body weight will result in clinical signs of toxicosis, and around 32 grams per kilogram will result in renal (kidney) damage. The number of raisins required to induce poisoning will be even less, requiring a dose of only 0.16 to 0.7 oz of raisins per kilogram of body weight resulting in poisoning. In a 2004 report, only four to five grapes were found to be toxic in an 8.2 kg dog. There does not appear to be a clear-cut dose-response relationship which implies some variation in the sensitivity of the individual to the development of the poisoning.

The toxin and mechanism of action have not yet been identified. Potentially toxic substances include ochratoxin, flavonoids, tannins, polyphenolics, and monosaccharides, all which have been theorized to be the cause of the poisoning.

Vomiting occurs one to three hours after ingestion followed by anorexia (not eating), severe abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Additional clinical signs include weakness, tremors (shivering), polydipsia (increase in thirst), and dehydration. Partially digested grapes or raisins may be seen in the vomit or feces. As the poisoning progresses, central nervous system depression occurs as well as a decrease in urine output. Early serum chemistry analysis may include transient elevations in glucose, liver enzymes, pancreatic enzymes, and serum calcium. Serum chemistry analysis 24 to 36 hours after ingestion is consistent with acute renal failure resulting in severe elevations of BUN, creatinine, and serum phosphorous.

When a significant serving of grapes or raisins has been consumed, vomiting may be induced to evacuate the offending substance followed by oral administration of activated charcoal to limit absorption. If twelve hours have transpired since ingestion, treatment should be aggressive with intravenous fluids or peritoneal diuresis in anuric (dogs that cannot produce urine) animals. Clinical signs of poisoning may last from a few days to many weeks. Prognosis is good when treated before kidney failure develops. Once anuric renal failure develops and peritoneal diuresis is implemented, prognosis is poor, often resulting in death or euthanasia.

References:

Ettinger, Stephen DVM, and Edward C. Feldman DVM. Veterinary Internal Medicine. 6th Edition. Elsevier Inc. 2005. Pp. 250-251.

Kahn, Cynthia, ed. The Merck Veterinary Manual. 9th Edition 2005. p. 2364.

Peterson, Michael DVM and Patricia Talcott DVM. Small Animal Toxicology. Saunders Co. Pp. 727-731.

Topics: poisoning

Symptoms: abdominal pain, diarrhea, weakness

Similar entries

  • The “Easter” or “trumpet lily”, whose scientific name is Lilium longiflorum, is a plant which is grown from bulbs. The plant itself has large, showy, funnel-formed flowers. The trumpet lily is popular at Easter, and for many it is symbolic of the resurrection of Christ. Sales of these lilies at Easter help to make them the fourth most popular selling potted plant in the United States. Unfortunately, these short-lived plants can shorten the life of your cat to days when eaten.

  • Want to share those macadamia nuts with your dog? Don’t, unless you want your dog staggering around the house appearing as if he is in a drunken stupor. A toxic dose of roasted macadamia nuts may be as little as one nut per kilogram of body weight in the dog.

    Clinical signs begin two to twelve hours after ingestion. In addition to staggering, the dog may appear weak and depressed. Muscle tremors, vomiting, and an elevated temperature may also occur. Dogs are often painful in the joints, muscles and abdomen.

  • Thinking about getting your car winterized this fall? Antifreeze is 95% ethylene glycol, (an important chemical used to prevent your car’s radiator from freezing or your windshield from icing) which is toxic to most animals although dogs, and to a lesser extent cats, appear to be primarily affected. Improper storage and handling of this chemical often leads to poisoning of pets since it has a sweet taste that may be attractive to animals. Most poisonings are accidental, but unfortunately, malicious poisonings may also occur.

  • Think giving your pet chocolate is a suitable treat? Unfortunately, chocolate is toxic in dogs and many other species of animals. Most cases of poisoning involve dogs due to readily available sources of chocolate. In fact, consumption of chocolate is the 7th most common toxicosis in the dog. Dogs are infamous for getting into bags of chocolate morsels, a box of candy left on the coffee table, or the infamous Easter basket. Toxicities and death have also been reported in livestock when cocoa byproducts or mulch from cocoa-bean hulls were fed.

  • Christmas holly, or English Holly is a commonly prized holiday ornamental that may prove to be irresistible to your pets. Although there are two genera of holly, the Ilex genus, with its 29 species, are all toxic. The technical name for the Christmas holly is Ilex aquifolium.