Mistletoe Poisoning

Filed Under: Dogs, Cats, Diet & Nutrition, Poisoning

As much as we may like to kiss under mistletoe, we humans don’t usually eat it. But our pets may have other ideas.

Mistletoe is a semiparasitic vine that takes water and inorganic nutrients from its deciduous tree host while carrying out some photosynthesis on their own. There are 43 species of mistletoe, eight of which are of toxic significance. Phoradendoron flavescens, the American mistletoe, primarily parasitizes oak or walnut trees while Viscum album, the European mistletoe, prefers apple trees. These two species of mistletoe are the most commonly implemented in toxicities. Both American and European mistletoe have ovoid leaves which are opposite in arrangement along the stem. The flowers are tiny and inconspicuous with the fruits being white.

Pets become exposed when the vine is bought into the home for use as holiday decoration. It is an English custom that any two people who meet under a hanging piece of mistletoe are obliged to kiss each other. According to tradition, the mistletoe must not touch the ground between its cutting and its removal as the last of the Christmas greens after Christmas Eve.

Alternatively, the American Indians used mistletoe as an abortifacient.

Many toxins have been found in various species of both American and European mistletoe. These toxins include glycoprotein lectins, phoratoxins, aminobutyric acid, alkaloids, phenethylamines, and flavonoids.

Clinical signs occur within 2 to 24 hours after ingestion of the leaves, berries, or a tea made from the berries. Clinical signs of poisoning are typically a severe gastroenteritis with prolonged emesis (vomiting), followed by depression. In spite of the number of toxic substances available, serious poisonings are infrequent. The more severe clinical signs have been reported in human literature through the consumption of a home-brewed mistletoe abortifacient tea. In 1968, a twenty year-old woman used this tea to abort and within two hours of its consumption became violently ill. She reportedly had abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and cardiovascular collapse followed by hypotension (low blood pressure), resulting in death within 12 hours of the tea’s consumption.

Treatment associated with any of these plants is symptomatic and supportive. Treatment is aimed at decreasing gastrointestinal distress and assuring that the pet does not become dehydrated or develop an electrolyte imbalance. Demulcents and antacids are often of great benefit.

References:

Ettinger, Stephen. and Edward Feldman. Veterinary Internal Medicine. 6th Ed. Vol. 1. 2005. Elsevier. p.252.

Kahn, Cynthia ed. The Merck Veterinary Manual. 9th Ed. 2005. Pp. 2438-2439.

Volmer, Petra DVM. “How Dangerous are Winter and Spring Holiday Plants to Pets?” Veterinary Medicine. December 2002. p. 879.

“Mistletoe” from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Fowler, Murray. Plant Poisoning in Small Companion Animals. Ralston Purina. 1981. Pp. 12-14.

Topics: plants, poisoning

Symptoms: gastroenteritis, vomiting

Similar entries

  • Thinking of throwing out that poinsettia the florist just delivered since you have pets in the house? That is probably not necessary. Although poinsettia poisoning has gained a lot of press, they are not all that toxic.

    Poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima) are also known as the "Christmas flower" or "star". They are a popular plant used as decoration around the holidays from November through December. The plant is actually a shrub and has brightly colored red, white or pink terminal leaves while the lower leaves remain green in color.

  • Christmas holly, or English Holly is a commonly prized holiday ornamental that may prove to be irresistible to your pets. Although there are two genera of holly, the Ilex genus, with its 29 species, are all toxic. The technical name for the Christmas holly is Ilex aquifolium.

  • It is just a few short weeks before the Christmas holidays. Your best friend sends you a beautiful Christmas cactus to accent the season. Unfortunately your pets decide that the colorful flowers of your holiday plant are truly irresistible. Your dog, with the help of the family cat, uses the plant as a newly acquired play toy and disassembles the Christmas cactus while you are at work. Should you be concerned that some of the flat segments which comprise the Christmas cactus found their way into your pet’s stomach? Probably not!

  • The holidays are a joyous time for friends and socializing. We decorate our households, fix elaborate meals, bring trees and special plants into our households, and yet we pay little attention to what effect these new habits will have on those furred and feathered around us.

  • The beautiful flowering shrub adjacent to your porch may have a sinister side to it. Don’t let those colorful blooms fool you. Cuttings from these bushes may be toxic to your pets and livestock.